Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lyceum

Ok I have big news today. I was invited by my uncle Tom to take part in what appears to be a super secret society. The Holmes County Lyceum. The upper echelon of learning in Holmes County have banded together to stave off the oncoming tides of darkness with light, learning, and culture. I moved that they should rename lyceum "knowledge is power, league of the learned, no girls allowed, Brainy McBrainersons, or the National Rifle Association, they said they just weren't ready for a change. It's a really secretive cloak and dagger thing. I don't really know what that means but at least one guy was wearing a cloak, and at one point during the night I had a knife at my ribs. I can't tell you much about it or they will activate the chip they implanted in my brain. But here's what I can tell you.

A group of middle aged to old guys sitting in the oldest house (literally) in Holmes County discussing what are perhaps the most boring topics known to man. Yesterday I sat through two hours of lecture on the topic of "Walden" by Henry David Thoreau (I learned that his name should be pronounced to rhyme with "furrow"). Now despite my sarcasm I must admit that I really enjoyed lyceum and I intend to go back. There is nothing more amusing then men taking themselves too seriously, ESPECIALLY when they invite you to join in. And these guys really are smart. There are a few doctors, a few lawyers, a psychiatrist, and some pastors, and one mysterious looking guy they just call "your honor."

For real though, it was fun because I learned things. I don't really learn much now that I've graduated Taylor so it's good to have semi-boring older guys lecture me again. I really enjoy it. They are lecturing on Cuba next month, and I know nothing about Cuba, so that's convenient for me. If you want to know more about what a Lyceum is check the Wikipedia article, it's interesting. And if you want to know more about "Walden" .....I'll be surprised.

No comments: