Monday, March 10, 2008

Les Miserables

Lucky you! I know that there could not possibly be anything more interesting to you than what I think about the books I read. Therefore this is my first of many book reviews. You will note I have a list of books I've read in 2008. These books are ranked in order of how much i like them, not the order in which I read them. Also just so you know, it's become my goal to read all the books that I've bought in the past but never had the gumption to finish. So recently I've been reading a lot of the "classics" that have been cluttering my shelves for a few years. It makes me seem smarter than I really am.

Les Miserables translates most literally into "the miserable" but I believe the intent is to be translated as "the poor." It is sent in Paris during the French Revolution. The book is entirely about the poor, the lives they live, the people they love, the dreams they dream, the republics they build, and the deaths they die. That and the life of one man, Jean Val Jean, who is exceedingly wealthy, but honestly lives his life as if people were more important than money. He is an escaped convict who has tried his whole life to live in such a way that he can redeem himself for his past transgressions and become worthy of the confidence placed in him by an old priest full of pity.

Les Mis was made into a play and several different movie renditions. The latest movie was stars Liem Neison and it is awesome. I recommend it to anyone in ministry or who leads a small group because in only the first 10 minutes there is a great illustration in which the old priest (Christ figure) forgives a convict for robbing him and buys him his freedom. It's good stuff.

Anyway, the reason that I liked the book i that it is sad and beautiful, an in a crooked and depraved generation a few sterling characters shine forth with inspiring character. That and the fact that I need to have a bigger heart for the poor. I have recently been challenged by my friend Cortney to see Jesus in the disenfranchised and those different from me. I'm so caught up in my world that I rarely think, care, or pray for any other one. This book painted a picture of it for me. Les miserables you will always have with you. And what will you do with them?

Also, I've been dealing a lot lately with how I see myself. My blog is not the place to discuss all that but I will include two quotes from the book that spoke to me as I read them, and I hope that you find something in them too. Be honest.

After he had fully determined that the young man was at the bottom of this state of affairs, he, Jean Valjean, the regenerated man, the man who had laboured so much upon his soul, the man who had made so many efforts to resolve all life, all misery, and all misfortune into love, looked within himself, and there he saw hatred (493).

It is terrible thing to be happy! How pleased we are with it! How self-sufficient we think it! How, being in possession of the false aim of life, happiness, we forget the true aim..." (617)

I know no one will ever read this book on my recommendation. But watch the movie. seriously.


No comments: