Friday, March 6, 2009

Walk it Off (Or Leave it Alone)

Guess what folks, I have OCD. Is this news to anyone? What this means (among other things) is that my brain never ever stops. I am always thinking about something. Running it backwards and forwards in my mind. Sometimes I rehearse conversations I'm going to have, have had, or will never have have (accepting the hiesman trophy award speech). I think about events past, future, and hypothetical. I am an insanely introspective person.

Which leads me to two conclusions.

1) There are feelings you need to revisit, explore, and try out over and over.
2) There are feelings you should ignore.

I think that most people are probably doing one or the other. Some of us turn a blind eye to whats going on inside and live the unexamined life. Others of us (me) tend to keep returning to thoughts and emotions in an effort to "investigate" or "reflect" but are honestly doing more harm than good. Some thoughts should be ignored.

I'm not saying that a person is ever truly one way or the other, but I think that most of us would say we are much better at one than the other, and when painful feelings come along we are as a rule usually going to do the same thing with it. Enter it, or avoid it. Whichever stratagey we have gotten best at is the one we are most likely to employ.

Turns out, (to no one's surprise I'm sure) there's a time for both, and I've been trying to learn how to tell the difference. There will be more on this later. In the mean time just think about which kind of person you are...and whether or not you agree with my observation so far.

No comments: