Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tri-Bond

Ok I've got a question for you. What do Bob Ross, Jim Tressel, and God have in common?

If you said an affinity for "happy trees" you could be right. But that's not what I was thinking of.

I was actually thinking about how these guys all have a plan for their work that far outstrips my humble understanding.

Have any of you watched Bob Ross paint? It's like watching a lava lamp. Really nothing interesting happens and what does happen is slow and extremely predictable. You don't really have a reason to watch and you wouldn't say it's actually entertaining you but either you're easily distracted, or very bored and lonely.

But for those of you who have seen Bob whip up some happy bushes and trees you know one thing happens every time. He's painting away and you say "hey, this looks pretty good, I think I'm going to take up painting." And just when you think his painting is finished he throws some ugly dark blobs on it and you flip out at the T.V.
"Bob what are you doing? You MADMAN! You've ruined it! Oh Bob you FOOL when will you learn to leave good enough alone!?"

Yet by the end he is able tie it all together and the ugly blobs turn into a natural part of the picture and you say to yourself "Bob you son of a gun....you've done it again."

Now let's go to Jim Tressel. The greatest coach in the history of sports.* Jim does something that makes every Buckeye fan go insane at least once a game. He plays such conservative football that sometimes you wonder if he is even trying to win. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't punted on 3rd down yet just to play it on the safe side. I think it's quite possible that he's trying to set a world record for the most wins with the fewest points in history.

But. The man wins games. He almost always wins games.** He doesn't get over excited like the fans or succumb to knee jerk reactions every time something happens on the field he doesn't like. Jim is always in calm, cool, collect mode while I am trying not to swear in front of Cortney. And in the end Jim is right and the Buckeyes win another game.

I realized one day that Bob and Jim are to professionals that are great at what they do, and I don't trust them enough. I sit on the couch with zero coaching or painting talent, annoyed that these guys are ruining something cool. But every time I see them at their work I am proved wrong, and once again they show why they are the professionals and I am making negative dollars every year to eat at the DC and plan student activities.

Do I need to draw the comparison to God? The man has a bigger picture in mind than I do and he knows how to stick to his guns even when I think he should "fix it" right now. He is patient and wise. He knows where he is going and has the skill of a master artist who can visualize the end before he even begins. After 7 years I have learned to trust Jim Tressel, when will I learn to trust God?

Oh, for your enjoyment...Bob Ross

*He's the greatest coach since before sports too.
** He loses some on purpose, just to be safe.

1 comment:

Dr. Danger said...

Son,welcome back. Your overall point is well taken and there is more and more peace as we learn to trust more and more...of course i mean God and life not tress and football...never peace when watching the Bucks1 but your statement that tressel is the greatest coach in the history of sports exposes you as a "post Woody" fan...you may be right in your claim but you still have to include a shout out to Wayne Woodrow