Sunday, February 7, 2010

Worth

I just saw The Who perform at half-time at the super bowl. They are really really old and perhaps just a little bit out of it. But they were most definitely the best part of the game. Sadly, I was watching them in a room full of students who weren't sure who they were.

Anyway. A thought on worth.

So good parents continue to tell their kids that they don't need to change who they are to impress their peers. They don't need to try to accomplish things or "be someone" so that we can feel good about ourselves. We shouldn't to other people to affirm our value and define our sense of self and worth.

This is a good thing.

But the bad thing is that we often take this logic. These same good parents then tell their kids that they are special just for being who they are and we try to make everyone believe that they have intrinsic value. The shocking news is...people don't have intrinsic value. We DO need to look to someone outside ourselves to validate ourselves as a person of value who is worthy of being loved.*

The problem is that we go to the wrong people. I don't think I need to point out that it is a bad idea to try to gain affirmation from "the world" or to try to "earn" affirmation from God, (though both of those thoughts are worth further consideration) But I do want to emphasis that our value really DOES come from outside ourselves.

If you took a look at my shoes and I asked you "what do you think these are worth?" You would name some price pretty close to "$0" (And you would be right).

But here are three things could really change your opinion on that question. What if my shoes cost me $15,000, were previously owned by Theodore Roosevelt, and were hand-made my Leonardo Da Vinci? First of all you would be very impressed by the prolific nature of my shoes. Second, you would wonder why I was actually wearing them. But the conclusion you would eventually draw was that these shoes were very valuable. And that is because

1) They were bought at a great price
2) they were owned by some one great
3) they were hand-made by a master craftsman

In all of these instances, value was bestowed on the object by some one external to the object itself. Just like the way God gave us value. By creating us Himself, calling us His own, and buying us at a great price.

Intrinsic value is overrated anyway.

*Note: Ladies, if any of you are freshmen in high school please read the rest of this entry before you run out and get pregnant.

2 comments:

OCCA Survivor said...

Love this.

Cristi said...

Did you come up with that shoe analogy yourself? Nice work, Steve. Seriously.

Also, I felt as if I should start reading your blog just in case you do give something away.