Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jesus Take the Wheel

It would probably be foolish of me to say that divine intervention saved my life. It would be arrogant to say that the Universe kept me alive to fulfil some grand purpose. It would we ludicrous to say that my car took on a life of his own. No friends, I survived out of sheer power of will.*

the other day Beth hale and I were slip sliding along state route five, enjoying the winter wonderland that was Huntington. When all of a sudden a patch of black ice attacked my car. I glanced over at Beth to see if she was concerned. She hadn't noticed yet. But she quickly became aware when our car decided it was going to fish tale into the left lane.

But I am a trained professional behind the wheel. When I was sixteen I took a course in "Driver's Education" and I even passed a test that licenced me to pilot such dangerous vehicles as cars. So using all that experience I was able to correct our course until we were fishtailing out of control the other direction.

A sudden calm came over me and I said "Beth...We're going of the road."
Beth replied "ok."

In stupefied silence we watched as the road gave way to the shoulder, and then to the ditch. I distinctly remember looking DOWN at Beth and seeing the snow rush up to the passenger side window. There was a lurch, a "whoosh" and the definite sound of turf being thrown helter skelter and before I knew it...

we were back on the road.

No. I have no idea how this happened...So I just kept driving.

WHERE O DEATH IS YOUR STING?

*Ok I think it was actually a God/Luck combo

2 comments:

bethale said...

This story makes me happy.

ALSO, the fact that we are still alive makes me happy.

OCCA Survivor said...

We should have taken a picture of your diagram on the board. You are such a good storyteller, Danger. Promise me you will always write! Promise! :)