Friday, February 20, 2009

The Drive

I've been thinking lately, which APPARENTLY due to my "Strength's profile" what not a surprise. but anyway, it has lead me to a series of ideas that will be expressed via blog in the next few days. For those of you who are waiting for a humorous account of my near death experience, I'm waiting for pictures.

I'm tired of being "Driven." The motivation to do, strive, achieve, and be. I think we need to give it up to an extent. It's true that many people are in need of some motivation, but I find myself currently surrounded by people who continue to strive for the next level. this isn't a bad thing in and of itself, but I find it a rather unfulfilled quest. "Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity.*" At least that's what the author of Ecclesiastes said.

This isn't necessarily bad, but I think it depends on the motivation. Is it a true desire for excellence? Is it a desire to help others? Is it the joy of overcoming obstacles? Or is it because we've just been conditioned to think of this type of lifestyle as "success" or because we just "should" be this way? Are we driven by internal forces or external forces, and can some of us really not tell the difference?

We LIKE the words "driven" or "drive" because they speaks of power and control. But who says "I'm a driving person"? No one. We are "Driven." Driven by what? You're not the driver...you're the CAR. If you are driven by something you are controlled by something.

Not all driving forces are bad. Love, mercy, God, justice, compassion, empathy. Being Driven isn't bad. But what, my friends, is driving you?

*In this sense vanity = meaningless

2 comments:

OCCA Survivor said...

I've also been struggling with something like this... why am I killing myself to get ahead when I'm not really sure I want the prize? You know? thanks for writing. I look forward to your continued train of thought...

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen....where does "drivenness" come from anyway?
Jesus definately had a mission and a purpose that he pursued, but the gospels do not portray a "driven Messiah"