Thursday, April 10, 2008

Welcome New Readers

I think that it's about time to explain to all my faithful readers (hi mom) exactly WHY I started a blog. There are two main reasons.

1) I am narcissisticly obsessed with my own words.
2) Peer pressure.

I feel like reason number one is rather self-explanatory, so I'll move on to the second reason. I have begun working at this church called Newpointe. It's an amusing place because it is very stereotypically "big church." It is full of "cutting edge" things and every room/ministry/event/drawer has it's own zingy name and logo. Also it sometimes adds extra vowels to the ends of words.

But please, do not think I say this to criticize, I am simply enjoying the foibles of a community I am growing to love. It's a rapidly growing church because they are lead by a Christ centered vision and have sound theory backing up their ministry practices. I believe that God smiles when he looks at Newpointe, and if I sometimes make light of it it is only in the same way that I poke fun of the idiosyncrasies of my beloved Taylor University. And you KNOW how much I love that place. (I wish that Taylor was a person so I could marry her and/or donate an organ to her.)

That being said...APPARENTLY I have been living in a cave on mars with my fingers in my ears ever since this "internet" fad become popular. At Taylor no one had blogs, no one read blogs. Why? No reason. We just never thought about them. We also never played polo. Nothing against either thing, they just weren't on our radar.

Not so at Newpointe. Everyone on staff has a blog, and they all love reading other people's blogs. Apparently "hip" people in ministry today write blogs, and other "hip" people (us) learn from them. Almost like a book except free and not as heavy.

Well this cat is super "hip" and he wanted to join in the fun. Newpointe, you have inspired me! (and it might sound like I'm making fun of you, but if I WAS making fun of you, I wouldn't actually be keeping up with my blog now would I?)

Anyway, word has gotten out about my blog. I'm not really sure how. I was probably referencing it myself. I do that now. If I have something to say to a person that I've already written about I try to pretend this website is an academic source worth consulting. I'll say "Oh, have you seen my blog? I talked about that." At that point I stop talking as if to say "I've already exhausted all thoughts on that topic by "blogging" it and if you are enlightened you will read up on it." But what I REALLY mean is "I wanted to mention that I have a blog, also if I told you what was on it, you wouldn't need to go there and actually read it."

So some people at Newpointe who are quite Blog-Sauvy have actually looked at this at least once! And one person has told me that she has added it to her Google reader. You know what that is? That's kinda like a subscriber! (Thanks Jess) That means that the number of people who have seen my blog has ballooned from 1 to slightly more than 1. Soon Doug Fields and Andy Stanly are going to be reading MY blog to find out what the "hip" Christians are doing.

But since you readers are first I'll let you in on a little secret. The hip Christians (me) are mostly sitting in their mom's basement reading fantasy novels. Do as I say, not as I do.

1 comment:

BT said...

Dude. I had a blog for most of your TU career.

http://benno48.livejournal.com/

But then I forgot the password to it and I'll never be able to access it again...

So I got a new one.

Now, please tell a correlating story.