Friday, April 11, 2008

The mini

About this time last year there was a man by the name of Steve Conn, who was training for the Indianapolis mini marathon. He ran and ran and ran. This duck-footed, "loose fit" wearing, and all around slow guy was attempting to run 13 miles (in a row). Why did he do this? Was it becuase he had never run more than 3 miles at a time in his life? We will never know.

But after training to the point that he could run 10 miles, our hero decided to tear his abductor muscle four days before the race. How did he do this you might ask? It might have been while trying to jump over one of his friends while they were playing in the mud in a torrential downpoor.

Well that was then. this is now. I was nervous about signing up for the mini again, and I refused to do it until I got my swagger back. But yesterday I ran 10 miles. Today my body feels like trash but if my legs weren't so sore I'd be swaggering like you wouldn't believe. So Today I signed up to run the Indy Mini on May 3rd.

Registration has been full for months, but I was able to buy a spot off of one of my friends. I will impersonate this friend, and since you are not required to show ID at the race, no one will ever be the wiser. In three weeks I will be crusing the streets of INdianapolis under the Alias of Veronika Vlaslov (yes that's right, I'm now a 21 year old girl from Latvia).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

prepare to get beat by this girl on race day! ok... that's a lie because one you're guy and definitely faster than me (that's a good gender stereotype, right there) and two, i guarantee you've trained more than me. Although, i have actually trained this year. Gasp... I know...it's sort of a big deal! :) see ya on race day, kid! oh and you're welcome for the hook up ;) (meaning Veronika's spot)