Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Another Brick in the Wall

I just read a book with an ending almost as shocking as Ender's Game. Which brings me to my next point. Why haven't you read Ender's Game yet?

I've learned something by being at a private Christian college for five years. Education is expensive. But I have also learned that people expect you to find your vocation and calling. What is calling you might ask? I had a Christian Ed. Proff once tell me that calling was "Where your deepest desire meets the world's greatest need."*

I sincerely hope that the world's greatest need involves me playing final fantasy and eating Reeces Pieces

Like I'm assuming at least one other Christian feels, I find myself overwhelmed by guilt and a feeling of inferiority because I don't think I've found a fulfilling and significant vocation that is "good enough" to justify all the faith and encouragement that has been invested in me by loved ones throughout my life.

But then it occurs to me, "when did we become obsessed with finding a calling?" Is that mandated by God? I think not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we take jobs we hate and put as little of ourselves into our work as possible. But we (I) need to stop acting like we (I) will only be living half a life if we (I) don't find that right vocation out there that is both at once the worlds greatest need and our (my) deepest passion.

Only in Western Industrialized societies would we care about crap like this. In the distant past women kept the home and men did whatever the heck their dads did. Were these people a disappointment to God because farming or shoe making was a way of life that contributed to society and supported their families rather than met their inner longings for ministry?

Even today in some cultures almost everybody is a farmer. If we told them some peoples were dance instructors for a living they'd be so confused.

If I told the people in my cohort that I was in higher ed because I liked it and I was good at it but it wasn't some burning passion or deep calling I think they would probably tell me to try a different field after I graduated.

I really want to be open to God's voice, but He has never spoken to me as clearly as He apparently speaks to some people. So until he does I suppose I'll just have to exchange hours of my talent and service in a useful way for monetary compensation in a manner that I enjoy. Hope that's enough for all you purists out there.

*I believe this guy was quoting fredrich Beuchner

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Something kind of like this? http://www.economist.com/opinion/displaystory.cfm?story_id=12853955&fsrc=rss

Good post, though