Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Leading Jesus

Wow, It's been a while since I've written, and I'm sorry. I hope if I have any faithful readers left they wont take the hiatus as a sign of apathy. But to be honest I suppose this blog was always mostly a means to entertain myself and to keep track of my ideas. So, whatever.

But the other day in class we were discussing leadership and following. I think that the term "servent leadership" is really the only kind of leadership there is. It's a very Christian thing to say, but leading something is ALWAYS a service no matter how big of a jerk the leader is or how much people hate him. The exception to this is a leader who FORCES people to follow him through fear or coercion, but that's a little more rare.

But VIEWING yourself as a servent and leadering WELL becuase you remember that is completely different than happening to perform a needed function for others at great personal benifit to yourself.

We also talked about following, and how it's an active process. Being a good follower means actively supporting and choosing to support and buy into the leader, which is a lot different from just doing what you are told.

Do most of us actually follow Jesus? Or do we try to lead Him? Do we actively support and buy into his teachings and way of life? Or do we kinda just do what we're told (If that)?

Do we live life our own way at our own pace and bring Jesus along for the ride?

Does following Jesus mean keeping tabs on what he's been doing and reading up on him? Some people follow the news and I follow the exploits of LeBron James. But how closely, how intently, and how intentionally am I following Jesus?

No comments: