Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thoughts on devotions

So one of the things I have NEVER been good at is doing my devotionals on a daily basis. Part of the reason is that for a long time I think I've had a skewed understanding of why we do them or what we are trying to accomplish.

It's also discouraging because like so many things in life the effects aren't immediately noticeable. In some ways spending time with God and in the Word is like a stream eroding the rock that is our stubborn hearts and sinful tendencies. And when you have to be intentional about something like that it's difficult.

But recently I've had a thought on the topic I'd like to share. I realized that doing your devotions can be a lot like working out. The results portion is obvious, work hard, notice no change, nine-months later look back and see you have changed a lot. Unless you slack on your work-outs and don't go to they gym half the time. In which case you look back after nine months and see no change and wonder why it's not working.

But I think that comparison has been drawn before. I had a new thought though because I'm back on the treadmill. And I put in a few good miles one day thinking "I am going to run a freaking marathon some day" The NEXT day I ran a mile and a half and decided I should walk my tubby pathetic body into oncoming traffic and save myself the effort of having a heart attack.

What was the difference? I hadn't eaten enough maybe, I didn't sleep much, dehydration. I'm not sure. But the point is that some-days you have good work-outs and you have bad workouts, but that doesn't mean that how healthy you are actually fluctuates dramatically from day to day.

And some days we have "bad devoes" Which for me means sitting in front of my Bible for 25 minutes thinking about the Ohio State Buckeyes, and then feeling guilty that my "quiet time" was quiet, but not worshipful. But it's important to stick to the workout regimens. Because even the days we don't feel good working out still benefits us.

No comments: