Saturday, January 3, 2009

God's favorite topic

So recently I've come across an idea that has a lot of different implications. I'm not sure exactly which direction I want to take it from here, but I'll just start it out and maybe you'll spend some time thinking about it yourself.

I have a good friend, some people call him "Yoder" but for the sake of annonymity we'll just call him "Travis." Well anyway, this guy loves talking about other people. (But I don't really mean this in the gossip sense, he actually likes talking TO the people he is talking about.) And no matter what you think you are going to be talking about when you hang out with him, you're going to be talking about yourself.

And I think that that's good on his part. There's a lot of honesty and self examination that goes on in my heart in front of his jolly bearded countenance. And it occurs to me that what do you think you would talk about if you went out on a coffee date with God?

First, he would tell you that you could go anywhere you wanted as long as it wasn't starbucks, and then you would sit down and have a good talk. And the conversation would invariably be about you. It might involve other people, places or things, but probably only in relation to you, because you are only accountable for you.

I can imagine myself going on and on about the escapades of friends and foes alike and what I thought needed to happen in their lives and then God saying "That's interesting Steve but don't worry, I'm going to take care of that. Right now I'm here to talk about you."

If I really believed this how would it affect my prayer life, the way I want to control others, or the way I worry about things that aren't my business? This isn't to say that I shouldn't care about others, but it does mean that I should trust that God is taking care of them, and when they talk, the aren't talking about me.

No comments: