Sunday, October 12, 2008

Stuff Girls Like III: Engagements

Whoa don't get me wrong, it makes a lot of sense for a girl to be excited about her engagement. In fact, I'm suspecting that if I somehow find myself engaged one day, I'll probably be pretty excited. Though I hope I'm not surprised by it.

But that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the fact the engagement of two people slightly tangential to your life deciding to spend the rest of THEIR lives together is cause for YOU to celebrate. And if you don't think so, you don't believe in love.

Now it is, of course, more exciting if you KNOW the people engaged, and it's MOST exciting when they are two fictional characters on a highly rated prime time show on NBC. I know this for a fact because I spent about ten minutes quizzing two girls on the best engagements ever. Pam and Jim rank above everything except room-mates and immediate family.

But even when you aren't fortunate enough to know the people getting engaged, you can still be excited. Because people you don't know deciding to spend their lives together is as exciting finding out that Michigan lost a football game.

Sometimes when Cortney is having a bad day I simply make up people and tell her they are engaged.

"Guess what honey? Galvin Gunhold and Susanne Deetz just got engaged!"

"Oh, that's so fun! Are we going to the wedding? Can we walk there?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even almost as exciting as finding out Michigan lost to a MAC team.
I'm so giddy, I think I'll get engaged to someone! (maybe a UofM cheerleader who is distraught)