Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Think on these things

Finally, dear brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is excellent or praiseworthy, think on these things, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, shall be with you.
~Phil 4:8~
Recently I've been having conversations that sometimes turn to interest news I've read about in higher education. Why? Because I am getting a MA in Higher ed and I read about a million pages every day on the topic and I am now forced to think of issues I never would have considered in the past. Is this a problem? Only because it's boring to everyone else.

You know how they say "to a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail,"? Well I've noticed that whatever I am really studying becomes my hammer. Which only makes sense. But there was a time when the Bible was my hammer.

In the Old Testament the Israelites used to bind up small scrolls of the law and wear them on their wrists as well as putting them on the door. If you were a wealthy man instead of moving down to Florida and spending your money on fast cars and faster women you would stop working and sit under a fig tree and meditate on the scriptures. That was considered the good life.

I don't feel like a bad person because I am studying something else. But when I was working at a camp I was really surrounded by God's word. Ruminating on it and talking about it as well as teaching it and reading it. And I really liked the way I felt at camp that summer. I don't work at a camp anymore, but I'm wondering how I can get that feeling back.

Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.
~Joshua 1:8~

2 comments:

AJ in Nashville said...

I know exactly what you mean, Steve, however (and I hope this doesn't sound like *too* much of a cop-out) the great thing I've found is that the Word is always there for you to come back to...welcoming you...

:)

AJ in Nashville said...

And BTW, Are you familiar with the New Orleans-ish Jazz musician who shares your name? I may go to see him play (along with Sonny Landreth) this weekend here in Nashville.

He's actually the main reason I discovered your blog. I thought you were him.