Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The privilege of calling

The title of this post was suggested by the one and only Ben Taylor, who’s first album, entitled fist full of nothing should be released this coming summer.

But earlier I went on a rant about how we are doing ourselves a disservice by looking so hard for a vocational “calling” that it becomes a source of guilt and stress. Since I know both of my readers have already seen that post I don’t need to reference it any more.

But now I would like to offer an alternative. Did you know that the Apostle Paul made tents for a living while he was doing his ministry?* Paul probably went home every day feeling like a loser because when he went to work he made tents and that is SO unfulfilling and insignificant. I think we would all agree that Paul the tent-maker wasted his life. So sad. Too bad he couldn’t find a calling.

Paul had other things he wanted to do in life. Things that he valued. So he took a job that paid him money (gasp). But we don’t call him Paul the tent-maker; we call him the Apostle Paul, because we know that his job wasn’t his identity.

Now some of us can get excited and feel satisfied about our jobs. That’s honestly great. It really is. I hope I fit into that category some day soon.** But for others lets consider a few things.

Who are you while you’re at work? Can you be a witness or a loving, caring person?
Can you honor God with your money? If so, work can provide you with resources to honor God
Can you envision your work as an act of service?
Who are you after work?
Do you honor God where you are?


* Of course you did Ben. Why don’t you stop reading my blog and start working on your album?

**I actually really like the job I have now but I am getting kicked out of Huntington after graduation

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good read in a time where I needed to hear that. Thanks, Steve.

Dr. Danger said...

what do you think about men like the desert fathers who were "called" to retreat from the world and have no job at all other than to reflect on scripture and the person of God? I believe all of us are called to know the father...everything else along the way is a means to that end...its all meaningful, but none of it is our calling...aren't semantics wonderful?!

Dr. Danger said...

another thot, since things are quiet right now at my terribly insignificant and unfulfilling job! my job is a total zero when it comes to satisfaction/meaning, but i have seen how god uses specific moments in the job as well as the fact that i am in the job to begin with to conform me more to the image of his son...and thats cool. I wonder how moses felt for the forty years god let him herd sheep in the desert before he "called" him to lead his people out of egypt. The father has a reason for wherever he puts us, or else he wouldn't put us there. his sovereignty allows me to relax a little and refocus on what my time on this planet is really all about// does the length of this comment qualify it as a post? if so i am now finally a blogger!!