Friday, May 23, 2008

prolonging adolesence

So I graduated the other day. Now it's true that I stopped going to school a few months ago, but it didn't become official until last weekend when I actually walked and got a certificate that said "your diploma will be mailed to you." Thank you Taylor University for that lovely parting thought.

So directly after that I went with my room-mate of four years to Chicago where he is going to have a "real person" or "grown-up" job. (It involves computers and typing on them but beyond that I get a little lost in the details.) Well anyway we were trying to procure him a hole in the wall (appartment) for a modest (arm and a leg) monthly fee.

I on the other hand, will be given student housing at Huntington University where I will work while taking gradute courses at Taylor. Do you see the problem here? It's like we're adults!

Now don't be fooled by appearences, we are FAR from adults, but seriously, if you didn't know any better you might be tempted to think that we behaved like grown-ups. Nothing could be further from the truth. But it's interesting that in some ways growing up is very gradual, but in other ways it seems to happen all at once.

Milestones make you feel like you should have changed. But rarely do I ever feel like my maturity has actually caught up to my new role in life. Here I am, a college grad, but I've always envisioned a 22 year old Steven Conn to be a lot more mature, a lot wiser, a lot more prepared to handle responsability, and a little bit taller.

If anyone has a way to gain maturity without acually experiencing things, let me know.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

yeah... i won't lie, being a graduate has been pretty depressing so far. um... fyi... i gave in and have a blog. it's pretty lamo right now but i figured i'd tell you. i doubt it will ever be as entertaining as yours but is that really the point? who knows? i still wanna hear about your life. peace out, buddy.

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.