Thursday, September 9, 2010

C.S. Lewis is Dead

This probably isn't news to any of you, but I've got a point to make here.

Sometimes I wonder, “what should I be doing in this life?” It seems I’ve accomplished all of my major goals. I went to Taylor, I married a women from Taylor, and I saw the buckeyes win a national championship. I’m not really sure if there is much else.

I could write a book. That’s something that I think about a lot. Although, it turns out that that would be a lot of work. Sometimes people encourage me to do it, but once you really think about what that entails...dang. Next time you think you or some one else should write a book, sit down and start doing it. It’s not very fun. I now because I’ve tried several times.

The reason i bring that up specifically is because for a pseudo-intellectual like me, becoming a writer (or better yet, a traveling inspirational speaker) is the finest thing I can think of. That’s why C.S. Lewis is my hero. Good ol’ Clive was the best in the world at taking important, abstract concepts about God and putting them into terms that people of average intellect could understand and appreciate. I wish I could be him.

But to paraphrase another author (whose name escapes me right now) When I get to heaven, Got won’t ask me “why weren’t you C.S. Lewis?” He will ask me “why were you not Steve?”
God loved C.S. Lewis. But I don’t think that he loved him because of his books. I doubt that the God of the universe was terribly impressed with Lewis’ apologetics. So what chance do I have? In the end, Lewis died and went to heaven, and was welcomed in warmly with love not because he was the greatest theologian of the century, but because he was a child of God.

Those are the same credentials that I have. And the odd thing is, even though I’m not going to have the same level of influence, or leave the same kind of legacy as Lewis did, I’m going to wind up just like him. Welcomed into heaven by the Father who loves me...just because I am his child.

1 comment:

Dr. Danger said...

A Really big Amen! I might get a chance to speak in a Christian High School chapel service. If i do the title will be "what do you want to be when you grow up" the concluding answer will be....."closer to God"