Wednesday, May 5, 2010

"Called" out

So the other day I'm having a conversation about acsessability in higher education. (The same type of thing all of you readers were probably also talking about the other day.)

The issue, in a nutshell, is that everyone wants higher ed to make degrees more available to everyone. Let's make America a more educated place. Good call, but if you do that, it's going to devalue existing degrees. It's like saying "Hey, people are poor, let's print more money." It's not really a win-win situation. In the short run it's a win-lose, and in the long run...I'm not really sure.

But I was defending my point of view by saying that degree inflation is making it very difficult for even trained people to find a job. For example, I (Steve Conn) have a master's degree in higher ed. and am having difficulty finding entry level positions as a hall director at small Christian schools. That's basically like a D-1 college basketball player getting cut from a church league basketball team becuase for some reason the church league is FULL of D-1 college basketball players and you are no longer as special as you thought.

Then she drops the bomb on me. She says "is it really that you can't find a job or is that you are only looking for jobs in higher education?"

I thought to myself "Well what else WOULD I be looking for? Remember how that's what I've spent two years and $20,000 explicitly training for? But then I realized something. Even in white America there is still a great disparity between socio-ecenomic classes. Most people in this country (let alone the world) are looking for work so they can have money to pay for their needs. I on the other hand am so priviledged that I can delay working for two years AFTER college to go to more school, then look for a specific job in a specific field. Some of my peers even have the audacity to be even MORE selective and be choosey about WHICH small christian school hires them to be a hall director. I actually know some people down-right DISSAPOINTED becuase they have a job at a school that is "so-so but not great."

People are starving and some of us are upset becuase they forgot the cherry on our ice cream sunday.

I forgot that I'm not having a difficulty finding a job. I'm having difficulty finding a job that serves my desires, interests, and personal goals. I think allegedly I got an education to be a public servant, but it would appear that me (and most of the people I know) expect that my education is going to provide me with all the stuff I want.

Generally speaking, isn't a job supposed to be an exchange? I give you my time and you give me some money? But I believe that most of the people I spend most of my time with (including me) think that a job must be a "win-win" situation. You give me money, and you also give me a sense of personal fulfillment, and you give me professonal development, and you give me good supervison, and you give me a good balence of challenge and support, and you give me a good community. Then maybe I will consent to giving you my time, as long as it is spent on stuff I kinda enjoy.

No one would have said it that way...but it really describes a lot of people. And if you are getting your master's degree in higher education right now...it might be you.

3 comments:

OCCA Survivor said...

I'm taking my MAHE degree to Starbucks! WOOT!

Can't stay at Ivy Tech too long with the low wages... Actually, McDonald's pays better (seriously).

I will do whatever it takes to help pay the bills, put food on the table, and contribute to the vast collection of legos scattered throughout our home.

Dr. Danger said...

you are dead on correct in all you are saying...the tough part is to stay focused when everything/one around us is focused on the other stuff...as a man in his fifties using his D. Min degree at a $12/hr job i am truly glad that i have something besides a career to identify me. i am way cool with being known as one who is loved by God and enveloped through grace in Him

BT said...

The privilege of considering our vocation and choosing our career: a uniquely American/Christian phenomenon.

Privilege.