Monday, March 21, 2011

Victory over the South!

I come today to tell you a story of perseverance and determination. A story about the underdog. A story of a young man who wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

Today, I got my driver's licence in the mail.

For those of you who don't know, it is Texas state law that all working residents who wish to drive must have their TEXAS issued driver's licence within 90 days. It took Cortney and I a little over 240 days.

Join me as I recount this epic tale of daring do and heroism.

1) Cortney and I went to the Texas DMV, but they told us that we needed to get our vehicles inspected first
(In Texas, you need to pay money to have someone tell you that your vehicle is "ok" to drive once a year.)

2) So we went to three places that we had been told inspected vehicles. ($20 each)

3) The third place agreed to inspect MY vehicle but would not inspect Cortney's because she didn't have proof of insurance.

4) Cortney's parents sent her a copy of her insurance card

5) I asked if I could get another copy of my "inspection certificate" (I thought I had lost mine)

6) You cannot get a copy of your inspection certificate, they have to call "The state" and cancel it so they can charge you for a new one.

7) I found my inspection certificate.

8) We went back to the DMV where they told us we needed to register our vehicles first

9) They told us we couldn't register our vehicles without speaking directly to our insurance agent since we were out of state

10) Cortney did not have adequate coverage

11) we bought new insurance for Texas

12) Cortney registered her car for another $130

13 I couldn't register my car because my car was still in my dad's name

14) My dad couldn't transfer the car to my name because he no longer had a copy of the registration (I had it)

15) My dad and I met over thanksgiving so Ohio certify that Dad gave me his Car

16) Texas would not accept the title transfer without a gift receipt.

17) We applied for a driver's licence ($30 each)

18) Three weeks later it arrived in the mail.

I still haven't registered my car, and Cortney's car is still in her maiden name but whose counting? We can drive now!

No comments: