Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fingers Pointing

A lot of times I learn important lessons about myself, about God, or about others. I can learn these lessons in all different kinds of ways, but mostly through screwing up. One of the frustrating things is that I feel often times like I am learning the same lessons that I could have sworn I have learned before. I will encounter something that makes me say "wow, I will really take this to heart, and it will change my perspective forever." This normally means "until I get busy, or something else seems pretty important."

So how do we remember all the wisdom we encounter? And how do we remember to hesitate from making the same mistakes we have made in the past?

I had a second grade teacher who told me that whenever you point a finger at someone,you have three more pointing back at yourself (for a visual, point just your index finger straight out in front of you, you'll see what I mean.)

I also had a pastor who told me that whenever he gives some one advice or really lays down a piece of wisdom, he feels the Holy Spirit telling him that he needs to take his own advice.

It occurs to me, when it comes to matters of sin, when DON'T we need to take our own advice? And when are we ever accusing anyone of something that we don't do ourselves in some way or another? Although we may never have lied on our taxes, does that mean we've never been dishonest? And even if we have never stolen something physical, does that mean that we have never tried to reap the benefits of something we did not sow?*

I have heard a story recently about a VERY arrogant and obnoxious student. He is very oblivious to what a negative impression he is leaving on the staff and faculty here at Peligro University** And I think to myself "wow, I wish I could really teach him a lesson. He has a lot to learn about respect" I think this as if I had nothing to learn about respect. My very profession is about challenging people to grow, and calling them out when they are wrong. What a great opportunity to remind myself every day of where I need to grow.

I want to challenge everyone (as well as myself) to think reflectively every time you either offer advice to people, or complain about the shortcomings of an individual who has done something wrong. And if you can't find something in your life that would benefit from some similar attention, I would be surprised.

Let me practice:

I think you really ought to do this whenever you can, as an effort to grow and to stay humble...and as a matter of fact, so should I.

*That is unless you are talking about a specific, isolated act, I find it difficult to say "we'll we've all smuggle a little cocaine at one time or another in our lives."

**I've learned my lesson from the Shane incident. I won't actually mention the name of my university on this blog because their Google alerts will tell them about it. And I know they check, I've talked to people who do the checking.

No comments: