Thursday, September 24, 2009

Making a Game Plan

This thought goes out to anyone out there who might not be perfect.

And I'm keeping it short.


Recently I read a book called "Humility, true Greatness," and the thing that I liked most about it was that the author basically said that we need to take pride seriously and try to get a handle on it. But unlike so many other books authored by our esteemed giants of Christian thinking* he actually gives practical suggestions of things to DO.

But this is different from a list of "do"s and "don't"s to keep as a set of rules. He's saying that if you want to affect yoru feelings and attitudes you need to develop a strategic plan.

If you want to be a Marathon runner you don't just watch "Chariots of fire" and get inspired and go out and try really hard. You get a plan with small, practical, steps and you work on those steps. This isn't legalistic. This is trying to achieve a goal.

Once I was in therapy and we tried to change my perception of a few things by changing the way I thought. But we discussed specific ideas and thought patterns to avoid, we didn't just say "do better at that."

Why have I been trying to just "be more humble" without coming up with a set of peramiters, routines, and small steps? Is it becuase that's not natural and therefore not relational? Is it because that's relying on my own strength instead of God's? Or is it becuase I needed to read a book where a guy told me I could actually do that?

*and I'm totally thinking Larry Crabb here

1 comment:

Dr. Danger said...

don't know what the steps are, but may i suggest that a regular reading of the psalms be included?